Kidnapped children fall through the cracks

Every child is taught about slavery but for some kids in Kenya, slavery is their reality.

Kenya is a country where human trafficking for forced labor and sexual exploitation runs rampant. More than 20,000 children are trafficked annually, according to gvnet.com.

“Anything can happen behind closed doors and nothing can be done to these law breakers,” said senior Una Thompson, a Communication & Media Arts High School senior who was born in Kenya.

Visiting tourists and citizens rent private villas, where child-trafficking and prostitution activities are carried out.

Some Kenyan children are kidnapped as young as 6 years old. If they are caught trying to escape they could be killed.

“We, as a nation that was freed from the insanities of being slaves, need to find help for these over looked children and kids,” Thompson said.

Kidnapped children fall through the cracks without the care of the government or families. With unmonitored villas and houses, the practice continues without interruption.

“They are blind to the wrongdoings of their government and families have taught them to abide by it,” said CMA senior Kenneth King. “We overlook these things because they aren’t happening in America”.

Some believe the Kenyan government ignores the problem because it benefits their economy.