CMA community reacts to Flint water crisis

The water crisis in Flint is sparking outrage from the Communication & Media Arts High School community.

“It’s just sad that the people of Flint have to suffer like this,” said Detroiter Sharlene Taylor.

The city of Flint, under former emergency manager Darnell Earley’s leadership, switched its water supply from Detroit’s supply to the Flint River in 2014 as a move to save money. Early was appointed by Gov. Rick Snyder and would later be appointed emergency manager of Detroit Public Schools. He resigned from that position Feb. 2.

More than a year later, state officials admitted that the corrosive river water was taking lead off of old pipes and into residents’ homes.

The effects of drinking the lead-contaminated water include skin lesions and hair loss, loss of vision, depression and anxiety. Lead in the body can rid the body of helpful minerals such as iron, calcium and zinc, which can lead to early signs of anemia, according to Kid’s Health.

“Gov. Snyder should just take responsibility for the issue at hand and just take responsibility,” Taylor said.

The crisis in Flint has been acknowledged globally and will cost $1.5 billion to fix, according to The Detroit News. Even though Flint has switched back to Detroit’s water supply, the pipes are still corroded and can contaminate the water.

“It’s not a surprise that this happened regarding everything that has been taking Flint apart for decades,” said former Flint resident Catharine Batsios. “It’s not just the water the pipes have been corroding.”

Communities are working together to educate themselves about lead poisoning and what to look for in an attempt to educate the public.