DPS takes a stand

<p>CMA junior Tarious Porter was on Fox 2 News taking about his concerns regarding DPS. Credit: CMA Communicator</p>

CMA junior Tarious Porter was on Fox 2 News taking about his concerns regarding DPS. Credit: CMA Communicator

Many teachers from Detroit Public Schools called in sick to protest poor working conditions Jan. 11, causing more than 60 Detroit schools to close for the day.

“We are set up for failure,” said Kimberly Jackson, a seventh grade teacher at Paul Robeson Malcolm X Academy. “Our goal is not to shut the schools down. Our goal is to have quality education for our children. We’ve been trying to make do with what we have. Our children deserve better.”

Teachers chanted, “Detroit kids matter,” as they rallied at A.L. Holmes Elementary School, which has structural problems and a mice infestation.

Since 2009, teachers have demanded improved working conditions, benefits and salaries. The teachers’ complaints include delayed paychecks, wage reductions and a mandatory $10,000 interest-free loan to the district from each Detroit educator. The Associated Press reports the Detroit Federation of Teachers agreed to loan the money to DPS in 2009 to save jobs but have yet to see any change.

On Jan. 25, students from Communication & Media Arts High School, Renaissance High School, and Cass Technical High School walked out during school to support their teachers, a planned sick-day for protesting teachers. Many students left, despite being told they would receive five-day suspensions from the school principal. CMA senior president Jalon Nelson said supporting teachers was worth the risk.

“Five-day suspensions for standing up for our teachers and ourselves,” Nelson said.

According to Fox 2 Detroit, police pepper sprayed and arrested three protesting adults who walked out of East English Village Preparatory Academy with students on Jan. 27.

Sick-outs and walk-outs are some ways DPS teachers and students are raising awareness about problems facing the district.