Detroit players make their picks on National Signing Day

By Joi Arnold and Kaelyn CollinsStaff Writers

The CT Visionary staff was present when Detroit-area athletes signed their National Letters of Intent on Feb. 3 at the Horatio Williams Foundation. Cass Tech football players shared their thoughts on the recruitment process.

Ostell Martin, Blue-Gray All-American and Morgan State commit:

“It is a great experience for all of the athletes around the city to get [recognized] on the college they are going to. It is a very special day for all of the coaches, family members and more importantly, the players.”

All-America Michael Onwenu, a University of Michigan commit:

“The recruiting process... one of the most exciting experiences for a high school football player from making new friends to closing business deals for the next four to five years of your life to attending camps to playing football in front of the army. My experience was fun, but shortened. College coaches can be a friend and an enemy.

All-America Demetric Vance Jr., a Michigan State commit:

“I already knew where I was going to go. It is just a blessing to know I can go to college and play what I love.”

Marcel Paul, University of Cincinnati commit, said:

“I feel like signing day is great. It is a great feeling and it is a good vibe, you can feel the love. I feel like it is great because it shows what it is going to be like at the next level.

Timothy Walton, Blue-Gray All-American and Syracuse University commit:

“Signing Day is a great opportunity because it is broadcasted on the Big Ten Network. It’s a real blessing for all these athletes to be able to make up their minds in front of millions of people even though the pressure is tough.”

Cass Tech head football coach, Thomas Wilcher:

“I think that all the players made their decisions based on academics first, making sure they had the basic foundation for the career they plan on going into and I think the most important thing is they made the decision with their heart, mind, and family all tied together.”

Cass Tech junior offensive linebacker DeSean Boyd:

“It feels really good to see my brothers make it. I know what they’ve been through, so I feel like they did a good job. I definitely feel inspired. Cass Tech sends people to college, even the pros every year it seems like."

The CT Visionary Newspaper staff would like to send a special congratulations to these players as well as Alvin Clemons, Indiana State commit; Donnell Alexander, Saginaw Valley State commit; Brandon Webb, University of Findlay commit; Edrick Matthews, University of Toledo commit; and Taeshon Trotter, Ohio University commit.