Peers support wellness

<p>BCHS junior Peer Wellness Coaches Kemi Dauda, Amber McIntosh, Suma Taher, and Nadia Dearing, pictured with their mentees, Jayla Newborn and Roeisha Waller.</p>

BCHS junior Peer Wellness Coaches Kemi Dauda, Amber McIntosh, Suma Taher, and Nadia Dearing, pictured with their mentees, Jayla Newborn and Roeisha Waller.

At Benjamin Carson High School, students and teachers have come together to create a Peer Wellness Coach program. The program was set in place to raise awareness for people of lower grade levels to inform them about the importance of healthy eating and to be an advocate for healthy living.

BCHS health electives teacher Curtis Valasek leads the program. He said the program is a partnership with Henry Ford Health System and connects the freshman and junior classes to the residents of Henry Ford.

The partnership connects mentors to mentees, helping them to promote healthy lifestyles. The 10 students can make a big difference by encouraging students to make positive decisions for themselves. As a result, it can preserve lives by showing students how to live healthier.

Former Peer Wellness Coach and BCHS senior Ariel Dickerson said that her favorite part of the program was "allowing my peers to know how important it is to care for their bodies." But beyond that, being a Peer Wellness Coach helps to build character and encourage students to learn healthy living skills.

"The thing that stuck with me the most was how dangerous unhealthy foods can affect your body,” said Dickerson.

The program starts in spring of the second semester for accepted juniors and freshman. Officially, the program teaches student mentorship, leadership and wellness education skills to coaches. Mentees will learn about strategies for stress reduction, physical fitness, following a healthy teen diet, and receive advice for avoiding running into problems with common teenage issues, such as sexual activity and drug or alcohol abuse.

Photo cutline for 0224 Ben Carson Peer Wellness

Cutline: BCHS junior Peer Wellness Coaches Kemi Dauda, Amber McIntosh, Suma Taher, and Nadia Dearing, pictured with their mentees, Jayla Newborn and Roeisha Waller.