Are we on fleek?

Benjamin Carson students face pressure to keep up appearances

<p>BCHS juniors Amber and Ashley McIntosh are just a couple of the many that worry about their appearance on a daily basis.</p>

BCHS juniors Amber and Ashley McIntosh are just a couple of the many that worry about their appearance on a daily basis.

Teenagers in general are a very judgmental group of people, especially when it comes to their appearance.

As a teenager, it can be difficult to be yourself in a high school environment because of its judgmental nature. No matter how much one tries, it is almost impossible to really feel accepted. As a result, many students at Benjamin Carson High School try to have an “I don’t care” exterior.

“I don’t care what people have to say because I’m going to do what I have to do,” said BCHS junior Kawsar Aziz.

Many teens even try to change their appearance to fit in. If you are not wearing what is trending, many feel like then you are the topic of someone’s discussion.

“It affects you heavily. People will have a whole debate on how you look,” said BCHS junior Nadia Dearing.

BCHS mathematics teacher Kristen Langston-Rogers, echoing Dearing’s words, said, “the teenager peer group is a very critical group – kids are being forced into being overly concerned about their appearance.” Messy hair, acne, and even wrinkled clothing can distract one from learning.

“If I’m having a bad day, I’m not going to do my work,” said BCHS junior Kimberly Robinson.

Many students agree that their appearance does affect their mood, whether it’s how you feel or how you interact with other students. According to a survey conducted with 9th-12th grade students at BCHS, 21 out of 35 (60%) freshmen and sophomore girls said their appearance affects their mood. But only 32% of juniors and seniors say that what others say does affect them.

“Yes, it matters because Sometimes you start to believe all of the negative things that people say,” said BCHS junior Sharletta Downer-Reynolds.

As a teenager, one’s appearance always matters. It is difficult growing up in this generation with the pressure of others knowing that you can get teased if you don’t look a certain way, and students often deal with this pressure in different ways than others.