Space chariot hoverboard rolls into Cody DIT

By John Michael Gonzalez The Cody Connection

When Cody DIT freshman Brionna Porter stepped onto the Space Chariot for the first time, she couldn’t do anything but spin in tight circles.

“It was fun, but it was confusing at first,” Porter said. “I had to learn how to press down the same with both feet to move forward.”

Space Chariot is a brand of hoverboard, the popular new two-wheeled electronic scooters. Celebrities such as Marlon Wayans, Jason Mewes, Bow Wow, Justin Bieber, Eva Marcille, and many others have been seen riding Space Chariots.

According to USA Today, “The hoverboard, a motorized, self-balancing, two-wheel scooter, is one of the hottest, and hardest-to -get, gifts for the holidays.”

The product, available from several manufacturers, is powered by a lithium battery, and operated by leaning in and balancing.

The one Porter was riding was a gift to DIT secretary Sareta Cheathem from Kevin L. Walker, owner of Space Chariot, Inc. Walker and Cheatham became friends during their work on the set of the movie Pope that Walker stars in.

Walker let Cheatham’s nephew play on one when he visited her on the set. Later, Walker decided to give Cheatham one for DIT students to try.

Porter and seniors ClarenceBarnes and Gregory Scott were the three Cody DIT students who got to try the Space Chariot when it arrived Dec. 3.

“It was fun and much better than walking,” Barnes said after trying it. “The security guards could ride it around to patrol the school.”

Cheatham tried it and said it felt like she was floating.

“It was weird moving without having to walk,” Cheatham said.