Senior service learning

By Ricardo Murry Bulldog News

The seniors of Loyola high school serve their school and community while they are still in the classroom. Some of the seniors at Loyola have a service learning class where they learn by doing service. The seniors in the class are doing service projects for the school and community. The students currently have ongoing service projects: blankets for people with cancer, toys for kids at

Children’s Hospital, and a wall of ceramic tiles that commemorate fallen soldiers.

The seniors have made 12 blankets for people with cancer so far. Some people have requested blankets with certain colors and patterns. Other blankets are randomly made using all kinds of colors and patterns.

The toys for kids at Children’s Hospital involves an in school toy drive for toys that will be donated to Children’s Hospital so that the kids will have something to play with while they are at the doctor’s or in the hospital.

The final project involves the tiles that commemorate fallen soldiers. Loyola High School has dedicated a wall on the third floor of the school where the tiles are mounted. Anyone who knows someone who has died serving our country is welcome to come and decorate a tile, write the fallen soldier’s name on the tile, and then put it on the wall. The wall of tiles will continue to grow over the years as people add more names of our fallen soldiers.

The senior service learning class is only in its third month. The seniors hope that they will be able to find many more projects that will serve the community and the school.