Raising the flag

American flag flies for the first time in front of Loyola H.S.

By Kyle McBeth Bulldog News

The raising of the flag is a moment to celebrate. When the flag of the U.S. is raised, it shows pride the country. The flag is symbolic and represents justice, peace, unity and pride.

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of Miss Gross and her students, the Honor Guard of the Detroit Fire Department organized and executed a flag raising ceremony for Loyola High School.

Loyola High School became the focal point of the community when they raised the flag for the very first time at the school on Nov. 11.

The entire student body and faculty gathered in the front of the school as the huge flag was being raised to the top of the pole. A fireman playing a song on the bugle accompanied the flag raising.

Father Mark Luedtke, S.J., president of Loyola, said: “The school had never had a flag flying in front of the school.

Students and staff decided this year would be a great opportunity to begin flying the flag.

“Students raised money and the board was asked to match what the students raised. We did so well that we were able to get the flag and have money to buy a Loyola flag as well!”

Several students contributed to the ceremony by giving speeches about how thankful they were for the veterans. After the ceremony, the school community went to the chapel to have a short service of thankfulness and remembrance for our veterans.