Loyola Bulldogs varsity basketball team off to a good season start

By Jimmie Chappell Bulldog News

The Loyola Bulldogs won two of the three scrimmages they played on Nov 29 at HYPE Athletics. The scrimmages were the first competitions that this year’s team had.

This season, the Bulldogs varsity basketball team will be led by sophomore point-guard Pierre Mitchell and senior guard Dequan Powell. Other members of the starting team include senior Ernest Adams, sophomore forward Keith Johnson and junior center Jaylen Hill.  Senior forward Romari Ennis came in off the bench and to contribute to the win.

Although the bulldogs are coming off a tough season, they are determined to win it all this year.

Sophomore forward Keith Johnson said, “I will be looking to put my team and also myself on the map.”

On Dec. 3, the Bulldogs, led by head coach John Buscemi, played highly ranked East English Village. Both teams played without a key player, Pierre Mitchell from Detroit Loyola and Kamari Newman from East English Village.

Ernest Adams, Romari Ennis, and Dequan Powell all pulled together in the final seconds to line Keith Johnson up for a buzzer beater in the last two seconds of the game.

Still, it was a team effort. All of the Loyola Bulldogs starting five ended with double digit points.

“This season should be fun and full of excitement,” Johnson said. “You wouldn’t want to miss a single game.”