Looking toward the future

Students learn about options for college at BCHS fair

By Tarek Miah, DeiVion Drew and Deontay Cobb The Diagnostic

College events brought a great opportunity for Benjamin Carson High School students to speak to university, college, and technical school representatives.

Students learned about different scholarships and financial aid programs and, afterward, felt even more inspired to attend college.

Dr. Derschaun Sharpley, the founder of the Clinic for Success and college transition adviser, started these events to expose students to college early.

“Since I’ve been with the district for 15 years I’ve built relationships with the college admission reps I’ve gotten to know them, so what I do is just go through a list of all the local and out of state colleges and if I know that rep I’ll ask them to come,” Sharpley said.

These model events provide students with a more advantageous experience that helps them to choose the right college for them.

“My experience was great,” Benjamin Carson junior Mozella Henderson said. “I learned about the different opportunities each college had to offer,” said Henderson. She said she felt it was an inspiring and beneficial event and rated it 10 out of 10.

“Attending these fairs opened my eyes a lot in choosing which college is suitable for me” junior Angel Hargrove said.

Students like Angel are finding these events as an eye-opening adventure for planning out there future. Not all schools have the benefit of these opportunities like these, so Benjamin Carson students are positive about taking every advantage that comes their way.

Overall, the majority of students from Benjamin Carson gave positive feedback and felt motivated about what the events had to offer and look forward to similar events in the future.