Learning a bigger lesson: High school is the path to college

Jasmine Young Voice of the Ville

Decision Day is a great opportunity for seniors across the city of Detroit.

Hundreds of seniors attended the event at Cass Technical High School on Oct. 24, coming to the school in the early hours in hopes of gaining college admission. As soon as the doors opened, everyone, including me, flooded the building to get to the gymnasium. Once there, I filled out several college applications for on-the-spot admissions. Mostly though, I waited in line to give the many college representatives a copy of my transcripts. This was the first part of decision day.

During the mid-day intermission, our school visited Regal Lanes Bowling in Warren.  It was fun being with my classmates outside of the school setting. It allowed us to relax a bit from a rather intense morning.

After bowling, we returned to the school and immediately there were either tears of joy or disappointment. For me, it was disappointment. I was sure that I would get in to at least one college I selected. The main reason I didn’t get in, and the same reason that a lot of other kids didn’t get in, was my ACT scores. Unfortunately, I was only a few points away from getting in one of the colleges, and only one point away from getting in to another.

Many of the schools told me to retake the ACT to improve my score, and I am scheduled to retake it in January.

Although this was a disappointing time for me, my advice to my younger classmates is to take the ACT very seriously, to pay more attention in class and to learn and apply the various strategies learned in ACT prep class.