King and Gleaners help feed the less fortunate

By Dakeilah Freeman and Deriana Thornton Crusaders’ Chronicle

The students and teachers at Martin Luther King Jr. Senior High School are joining with Gleaners Community Food Bank to help feed families that are less fortunate during the holiday season.

Gleaners has a great volunteer program for individual families, schools, corporate groups, and other organizations. The partnership between King and Gleaners has been in existence for the last four years.

“King High School feeds up to a hundred families a year depending on the donation,” said Denise Leduc, Gleaners manager.

English teacher Walter Everett has been in charge of the can drive. Everett said he believes it is important to get the students to realize how helping others can be a rewarding experience.

“I explain to them the need that we have in the community when people are struggling financially, especially around the holiday,” said Everett. “I want students to realize that they are blessed to have a meal and that they can help others.”

Once the school collects the cans, Gleaners picks them up and takes them to its warehouse.  At the warehouse, cans are sorted and faulty cans are discarded. 

“Here a group of people sort and check for cans with dents, open, or without a label,” said Leduc. “Items that have these faults are thrown away.”

Then Gleaners sends the cans to their partners, which are soup kitchens, shelters, and ministries. At the shelters, they use the canned goods and other items to feed families. Ministries give out baskets only to people who live in the zip codes that are in financial need. The recipients need an I.D. and proof of income to receive the baskets.