Is 2048 robotics the future of DIA?

By Darshae Ward Pink Lady Press

Education policies are changing.  The push for STEM classes and activities are on the rise across the nation.  STEM standing for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math has found a foot in the educational door, and it the opportunity for all is available. 

An article by Center for Digital Education says “President Obama signed the STEM Education Act of 2015 into law Thursday, Oct. 8.” 

It “strengthens efforts at the federal level to ensure that computer science skills are included among science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects.”

For these reasons the ladies of Detroit International Academy should join the robotics team if they would like to pursue careers in engineering or technology.

Center for Digital Education says, “American students lag behind many other nations when it comes to STEM education, currently ranking 21st in science and 26th in math.”

“Students at DIA should consider joining the robotics team. So many girls let the opportunity pass them by.  I, for one, wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to expand my mind,”said junior Hadja Simika.

Students who join the robotics team can also reap the benefits of a more impressive college application.

Sophomore Kalei King said: “I help to program the robot.  It’s confusing at first, but once I was shown what to do, I had no problem.  I began in seventh grade, and because I was interested in engineering, I stayed with it.”

“Scholarships are available for technical or an engineering career.  That’s one of the reasons I joined,” says sophomore Maiya Jones.

When asked about the sport, the ladies had this to say, “We all want to win more competitions, that’s the goal,” Simika said.

“It’s different for DIA because, we see a lot of guys at the robotics competition.  We are the only completely all girls’ team,” said sophomore Kalei King. “I mean other teams have girls on them, but we are the only ALL girls team, which is cool.”

“You learn how to program a computer, how to make other types of machines for the robot,” Jones said. “We learn so much. I think all girls who think they may have an interest in engineering should join a robotics team.”

The 2048 Detroit International Academy robotics team encourages more students to participate.