Faces of Detroit

[gallery columns="1" size="large" type="slideshow" ids="2888,2890,2887,2884,2886,2883,2885,2889,2882,2878,2879,2880,2881"]

Detroit celebrities allow students’ voice to be heard

By Alexandria Kotaran Crusaders’ Chronicle 

Councilwoman Mary Sheffield of Detroit’s District 5 hosted the State of the Youth II Symposium at Martin Luther King Jr. Senior High School to engage students in conversations about the future of Detroit and inspire them to accomplish their goals. 

Celebrities on the panel were Donnell R. White (mediator), Christian “Trick Trick” Mathis, Deelishis, Maurice “Pastor Moe” Hardwick, Kierra “KiKi” Sheard, Mouchettee Muhammad, Jessica Care Moore, Michigan State Senator Bert Johnson, Tonesea “Toni” Welch, and K Doe aka K-Deezy. 

The symposium gave students a chance to be heard about the issues they face in Detroit and the improvement of the city. They also were given an opportunity to get advice on personal issues.

“High school students can talk about the unique challenges they face here in the city of Detroit,” said Sheffield.

Students were intently involved in the dialogue. Many students in the audience acknowledged the fact that they or someone they know had been a victim of violence. 

“Overall, it was awesome. A lot of people had a lot to say,” said senior Lariah Lynn. “It was a very positive thing to do for students who have a negative environment.”