Cass Tech provides unique opportunities through WCCC, IB program

By Krishanna Castro CT Visionary

Wayne County Community College partnership is a dual enrollment program that gives students the opportunity to take college courses all throughout their four years of high school. This partnership is one of the largest programs of its kind across the city, which is designed to encourage Technicians to develop critical thinking and have preparation for postsecondary success.

This was once of Lisa Phillips’ initiative when she became principal of Cass Tech. Students who participate should take at least five classes each year in order to be on track to graduate on time. In the 2015 graduating class, close to 20 students graduated with an associates degrees in addition to their high school diplomas. Assistant principal Lori Singleton supports this vision by coordinating with WC3.

“The class of 2015 was the largest class of WCCC history to graduate with dual enrollment,” said Singleton. “The Wayne County program gives them a competitive edge for scholarships and college admission.”

The classes are taught at Cass Tech on specific weekdays as well as on Saturdays during the fall, winter, spring and summer semesters. Classes meet Monday through Saturday at CT for interested members of the student body. Currently there are over 300 technicians enrolled in the program. Cass Tech 2016 seniors have the largest number of graduates and 50% of them are on the Dean’s List.

“I like the WCCCD classes … I do feel that it can be better for me in a long run,” said CT senior Rachel Robinson. “Everyone does not have the opportunity to graduate from high school with an associate’s degree so it’s awesome that Cass Tech offers them.”

Upcoming registration is always announced during the morning announcements. For additional help students can also discuss comments, questions, and concerns with Singleton and Cass Tech teacher Richard James.

Cass Tech Alumni Kayla Cockrel, a 2015 recipient of the Detroit High School Journalism Program’s $24,000 Ford Scholarship, now attends Wayne State University for journalism. She took college courses all through her high school year which earned her an associate’s degree before receiving her high school diploma. Wayne State University transferred all but one of her credits.

“I think the WCCCD classes did help me with college,” said Cockrel. “ (WCCCD) taught me how to balance my work and now being at Wayne State it’s like second nature I already know what I need to do and how to balance my time.”