DIA students step out of comfort zones

By Noel Toliver Pink Lady Press

“Get Rich Slowly,” a financial blog, has on article edited by J.D. Roth about steeping out of your comfort zone for success.

“Humans are wired to seek comfort, and as a result much of daily life is focused around familiar patterns and habits. When something threatens to break those habits, we feel uncomfortable and nervous. These negative feeling are easily avoided by continuing to live the same way, rejecting change. If given the chance to enter uncharted territory, a situation where life’s future is unpredictable, people often prefer not to change, clinging to a comfortable situation.”

Roth basically states the being out of your comfort zone can improve your experiences with a lot of things.

Have you ever been out of your comfort zone? What did you experience that made you feel out of your comfort zone? If you have, will you do it again? Students at Detroit International Academy for Young Women have stepped out of their comfort zones. If it’s their first year attending DIA, they may not have wanted to come here because most of their previous schools were co-ed.

Tenth grader Larissa Brown said: “When I first came to DIA, I thought that my chances of getting a good education would be better considering that there were no boys and that I could actually focus.”

Some students made a choice on their own, Ashlee Norwood, a sophomore, came to DIA in the seventh grade.

“I was in a bad school and chose to come here,” she said, “boys were a huge distraction for me.

“I feel that since I go to a school for all girls, I have been in less conflict about ‘he say, she say’ stuff. … The majority of the students have known each other so long, they are close like family.”

Freshman DaJuanna Harris said: “I had to get used to finding new friends and being in a place with a large population of Bangladesh girls. It was different, but I’m used to it now.

“I like being in an all-girl school. I chose this for myself. I can concentrate more without boys distracting me.”

“Because there were so many girls, I thought there would be a lot of bad attitudes, instead they were nice and cool,” freshman Bionca Ward said. “Really chill. At first it was awkward and weird because all females, we all got like, puberty, and emotions are off balance. During the first day, I was quite uncomfortable, but the second day I was more comfortable and was really talkative.”

Freshman Fatima Zuhayra said: “It was uncomfortable because I didn’t know my teachers or my classmates. Because I wear a hijab and they don’t. There are only four or five Muslim girls in my class and I felt uncomfortable because we are a minority. I am way more comfortable now because we know one another and we are friends. My friends are not limited to those wearing hijab, which is good. My other school it was all Bengali and Arabic, so I appreciate being in this school, there’s a mix.”