CT hires new basketball coach

By Dervon Thompson CT Visionary

This year marks a clean slate for the boys’ basketball team at Cass Tech. The hiring of new head coach, Steve Hall, represents the move towards hope of a brighter future.

Hall is also the school’s new athletic director and has high expectations for the athletes at CT.  Being a former Technician, Hall set records and was a basketball standout in 1988, when he averaged a little more than 30 points a game. His success followed him to college where he played at Virginia Tech.

“My high school and college years were memorable, we had a lot of success as a team, I had a lot of success as a player, and it was some of the best memories of my life.” Hall said.

That success easily transitioned into his coaching career, being one of the most accredited coaches in the Public School League. Hall took Detroit Rogers to consecutive Class D state titles in 2003-2005, then led Detroit Northwestern to their first Detroit Public School league title in 2008; and was named coach of the year. Steve Hall coached college ball for Duquesne and Youngstown State from 2009-2015.

Hall is excited to bring all of his experience back to his CT roots.

“Cass Tech was the only high school job that I considered when I was at the college ranks,” Hall said. “The fact that this is the school I went to and I have obvious attachments to Cass and a desire to see Cass at the top.”

With the season approaching, Hall is walking in expecting nothing more and nothing less.

“It’s a work in progress, learning every day; going into a new situation you know it’s going to be challenges,” Hall said. “My expectations are just to get better every game and by February ideally be able to compete at a championship level.”

Hall has an experienced Cass Tech team by his side. With five returning seniors, guard Michael Farmer is one of the returning seniors looking forward to get the season rolling.

“We are very excited but understand there is more work to be done,” Farmer said. “We just want to continue to improve and make progress everyday as the season goes on.”

When asked about working with new head coach, the senior guard was even more excited.

“Coach Hall is tough, but I feel that he is preparing us for the next level,” Farmer said. “He constantly throws new things at us and brings out the best in all of us.”