Boys soccer ends with kick

By Sydneah Burnett RHS Stentor

As the season draws to a close in early November, the Renaissance boys soccer team took time to celebrate their success. With a record of 11-8-1, the boys reflect on the season and what they could’ve done better.

“We’re one of only two schools in DPS to ever win a state playoff game, and one of the only schools in DPS history to win more than 10 games in a season,” said coach Hassan Mussawir.

The team has many seniors on its roster and there have been concerns about how the team will continue to be a dominant force in the league when they graduate.

“There’s going to be a lot of holes to fill, without a doubt. The third and fourth place goal scorers were sophomores so we should be fine in terms of putting points on the board,” said Mussawir. “My biggest concern right now is just filling the roster in terms of having the talent, acquiring players, getting kids that actually play the sport to come and dedicate themselves, to come to Renaissance as oppose to going to Cass.”

Senior Christofer Smith, who had a total of two points and 11 steals this season, was a served as a supporter when it came to helping out his younger teammates. During the season, he mentored the underclassmen on the team.

“I mentored those that needed it by providing a positive role model for the freshmen on the team and blocking goals,” Smith said.