Baker is a ‘super teacher’

By Alexis Alcantar and Matthew Diaz The Western Express

Hidden under a stack of tests and papers that need grading, sits Tara Baker, multitasking. Even during her prep. hour, this English teacher moves from task to task, preparing for her students. The walls of her class are covered with literary resources and students’ work. Also, her grading policy is in plain sight for all to see.

Baker’s students at Western International High School call her a “super teacher.” 

She brings a unique style of teaching into her classroom. She is energetic, knowledgeable of the material and incorporates an element of fun to keep students interested. Baker dedicates her time to get to know the students individually. Her ability to connect with students provides them motivation to succeed.

“(Baker) is like a mother to me at this point,” said Estevan Torres, a senior in Baker’s Advanced Placement English class. “She truly cares about her students’ education and breaks down every lesson so everyone understands.”

Baker said she has high expectations for her students, wanting them to become lovers of literature, critical thinkers and always be able to use proper punctuation and grammar.

“I want students to read deeply and widely to become connected to something they want to do and believe in,” Baker said.

Apart from her devotion to the classroom, Baker, a 16-year English teacher at Western International, serves as the Western International National Honor Society adviser.

Baker said she received her calling as a teacher as a result of not being pushed to her fullest potential in junior high. After graduating from Ferndale High School, she attended Western Michigan University and later earned a master’s degree from Wayne State University.

She came to Western International as a student teacher before becoming a tenured teacher.

As far as future plans, she wants to continue to improve as an educator.

“Even after 16 years, I still see so much about what I do in the classroom that could be improved. From planning, organization and management, there is so much I could perfect. It keeps me energized and drives me to do better,” she said.