Renaissance: ‘My goal is to change the world with my words’

I didn’t know journalism could take me this far.

It isn’t just an elective to me, it’s a lifestyle. I fell in love with it when I was 15, and I know I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it weren’t for it. Writing is the best way I know how to express myself. It’s taught me how to speak up for myself, put my fears aside; and its shown me that anything is possible.

On top of being the editor in chief of Renaissance’s in house publication, Phoenix Rising, I had the opportunity to write for FreepHigh for my school’s page, The Stentor.

I’d like to thank Carianne Wargowsky, Joy Visconti, Cassandra Spratling and Bobby Hawthorne, for teaching me how to do what I love while expressing myself through my stories.

I realized this was something I wanted to do when I was blessed with the opportunity to work at the Detroit Free Press as a reporter last summer. I figured the best way to live my life is to make a career out of something I love so I’ll never have to work a day in my life.

My goal is to change the world with my words and inspire people with my experiences, and that’s what I plan to do.

This fall I’ll be a freshman at Bowling Green State University majoring in journalism as a member of the university’s President’s Leadership Academy, 2015 Cohort.

I’d like to thank the Detroit Free Press for helping me find my passion, this has been such a life changing experience. I’m forever grateful.