Renaissance bids farewell to ‘Math Diva’

By Brandy Blackwell and Desmond Johnson Staff Writers

Ask most Renaissance sophomore or junior who their favorite teacher is, and there is only one teacher who comes to mind: Juanzetta Tolliver.

Tolliver is known throughout Renaissance for her sense of humor and spunky personality.

“I love Mrs. Tolliver. She is by far one of the funniest and coolest teachers I’ve had here at Renaissance,” said junior Cierra Hill.

Tolliver has been teaching math for over 30 years at various DPS high schools and has been teaching for 15 years at Renaissance. After a long and successful career, she recently announced that she would be retiring at the end of the 2014-15 school year.

“After teaching for 30 years, I’ve decided that it is time to pursue other opportunities, such as college teaching, tutoring or maybe moving out of the state,” said Tolliver, sighing.

Tolliver has even taught some teachers who currently teach at Renaissance, including pre-calculus teacher Mr. Watts.

“I’m going to miss the true ‘Math Diva’. She was one of my best teachers here,” said junior Lynarius Collins. “She was so real and so funny.”

Collins isn’t the only student that will miss Tolliver.

“She is such a great teacher. I’ve learned so much from her while being in her class,” said sophomore Atiya Whitehead. “I just love going to her class.”