Pershing: Tigers, Comerica Bank award baseball, softball $5,000 grant

By Mary Lewis Wiafe and Kirk Sears Staff Writers

When students were called down to the auditorium of Pershing High School last month, they were greeted by Tigers mascot Paws and could instantly tell baseball season was here.

It was the beginning of the prep rally and surprise Grand Slam grant announcement. Pershing baseball and softball teams were being awarded a $5,000 grant from the Tigers and Comerica Bank.

“To encourage the sport, and to provide (equipment) and support the students,” said Linda Forte senior vice president of Comerica Bank. “We wanted to inspire students and make sure they had equipment to play the sport.”

This was the main reason for Comerica Bank and the Tigers to partner up and offer $25,000 worth of grants to benefit baseball and softball programs at schools across Michigan.

“There’s only a little bit money set aside for sports but when you have money for sports it has to go for every sport,” said Pershing head baseball coach Anthony Degrazia.

Part of the issue is the baseball and softball teams run into stems from the small amount of athletic funds left by the time spring sports season starts.

“(The grant) was very necessary so we could get the equipment we needed and people will come out and support the games now,” said softball player Moneyka Murray.

This grant will allow baseball and softball teams to have access to better equipment and uniforms. They were lacking jerseys, baseball bats and gloves.

“With the new stuff hopefully we can match the way we play, you don't want to be a good baseball team with bad equipment,” Degrazia said.

“I hope to get uniforms, helmets, shoes and catchers gear,” said Pershing baseball pitcher Malick Hacum.

The Grand Slam Grant was created in 2011 to help public schools in Michigan create, expand or improve their baseball and/or softball programs.

In addition, on April 18th, players from the Pershing High School’s baseball and softball teams stood on the field at Comerica Park and participated in a special on-field check presentation with spectators, the Tigers and Chicago White Sox players looking on.