King: Shaw’s hard work pays off with 30 college acceptance letters

By Keyerra Mitchell Staff Writer

Senior year, according to some students, is thought of as being the easiest in high school, but that isn’t always the case. Senior students must stay focused and motivated in order to succeed beyond expectations. At King High School, there are plenty of seniors that are currently exceeding the expectations of what a true scholar is.

King senior Derrick Shaw has been accepted to 30 colleges, and some of the top colleges not only across the country, but also around the world; colleges including, the American University of Rome, The American University of Paris, Morehouse College, the University of Michigan, and Michigan State University.

Shaw is always moving and striving for success.

“My parents, teachers, friends, and additional family members are the people who motivate me the most,” Shaw said.

Shaw is an award-winner writer. He won first place in the Palazzo Strozzi Renaissance High School Essay Competition. He was able to travel to Italy and experience the summer of a lifetime.

“Teachers around the school were the people who drove me to push my potential in writing,” Shaw said.

Shaw has decided to pursue a career in medicine, becoming a radiologist, an anesthesiologist, or an educator teaching middle school math or English.

As a senior in high school, Shaw is blazing a path for not only his family but for younger scholars across the world. His advice to younger students is to stay focused and to always keep moving forward.

“The four years of high school really shape you as a person and define you as well,” Shaw said. “Take advantage of the word free, take those dual enrollment classes, and use those fee waivers on the ACT. Always remember that whatever you do in your four years can follow you throughout your life.”