EEV: Students compete in mock trial tournament

By Tayler Berry Staff Writer

Every year the Michigan Center for Civic Education hosts high school mock trial tournaments in Oakland County, Washtenaw County and Lenawee County. This year, EEVPA competed for the second time in the Oakland County regionals.

“Last year was a learning experience because students really didn’t know what to expect,” said coach Kimberly Holland. The other coach is Ninochk Griffin. Both teach social studies.

Although EEV did not advance to the state tournament this year, it came close. EEV won one out of three cases and came within a few points of winning the others.

“Students learned that law is everywhere and it can be combined with any other field,” Griffin said.

Students prepared for months to prepare themselves to compete at a high-level. They attended an all-day clinic at the Michigan Hall of Justice in Lansing. The team visited the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice here in Detroit on several occasions to watch actual cases. They also practiced.

Twenty Schools from Southeastern Michigan competed. Students had to learn court briefs and be prepared to defend or prosecute. Students had to learn various roles as prosecuting attorneys, defense attorneys and witnesses. They argued the case in front of actual judges and attorneys during the competition at the Oakland County Courthouse in Pontiac.

Two schools place in each regional tournament to advance to the state level. State winners advance to the national tournament.

The students felt that the highlight of the competition was actually meeting with all the other schools and realizing how well they were prepared.

“We were grateful to attorney Danien Woodson who worked with us, prosecuting attorney, Danton Wilson, Ms. Holland, and Mrs. Griffin for their preparation, critique, and feedback. We all grew tremendously from this experience,” team captain Tatianna Henderson said.