DIA: 'Black Girls Rock' inspires

By Munthaha Mumin Staff Writer

Detroit International Academy for Young Women held its fourth annual Black Girls Rock assembly in late February.

The Black Girls Rock assembly celebrates the underrepresented women of color, particularly African American women, who have made history and become successful. They have inspired the new generation for black girls and made them believe that if they try, they can accomplish anything.

The idea of celebrating black girls as a whole came from the 4-H members and DIA social studies teacher Sharea Ayers. Their idea was to show everyone that black girls have a lot more power and significance in the world than others think and that it is something very important to celebrate, especially in all-girls school where most of the students are women of color.

“I think that black women are represented in society negatively,” Ayers said.

This year, Black Girls Rock came up with a new idea. They included a performance of singing and dancing that consisted of students from the third grade all the way to the 12th grade. The colors that were incorporated in the celebration were purple, gold, and black, all of which represent feminine strength. There were even many awards and prizes given out, recognizing fellow students and teachers for their different contributions to the school and the community as a whole.

For the past three years there have been different speakers that shared their life experience and knowledge with the students of DIA. This year, the speaker was Detroit radio personality Tracey McCaskill. She gave sound advice regarding the importance of friendship between fellow women and self-esteem.

“Black Girls Rock taught me to empower women and that colored women should help each other and not be enemies,” senior Jessica Hogan said.

“The program encourages black women to do better in their community and in life,” eighth grader Christine Bank said.