Cody: Trash pick-up is improved? Really?

You put your trash on the curb in the morning and you wait all day. Hours roll by, then days, and you pull your trash back in frustration. Another week without your trash being picked up and you are livid. Where do you complain? Who will make things better?

Just know you are not alone.

It happens often on my block in Cody Rouge. There have been plenty of times when my dad has to pull the trash back up the driveway still full. It’s really a problem for my family because we have a lot of trash. When the trash collector doesn’t come, the trash gets all over. The wind blows it all the way down the block.

We have a nice neighborhood. People take pride in their lawns. Poor Mr. Terry must be 90 years old, and his lawn and garden are perfect. It’s terrible to see him bending over to pick up notebooks from our house, Pampers next door, and kitty litter and dog stuff from across the street.

My neighbor, Shatyn Byrd, said it’s even a problem when the trash collector does come.

“When the trash man does come, he leaves trash everywhere on the street and the whole neighborhood has to come out and clean their yard,” Byrd said.

Detroit City Council voted last year to privatize class collection in Detroit. It wasn’t to save money; it was to improve the service. According to a story on mlive.com, Detroit’s chief operating officer Gary Brown said after the privatization about 165 city workers now pick up garbage. If that is the truth why isn't everyone's trash being picked up?

I love the idea of Detroit improving, but some neighborhoods are getting left out. It is frustrating putting out our garbage on time and it not being picked up on time. We do our part, but it seems city council isn't holding up their end of the bargain.