Cody: Local McDonald’s honors outstanding students

By Gregory Scott Staff Writer

When Cody DIT sophomore Samuel Bessiake passed the McDonald’s on Joy Rd. at the Southfield Fwy. last month, he glanced at the sign expecting to see an ad for the dollar menu. He did not expect to see his name in lights.

Bessiake was the second student to be recognized. Freshman Tavon Hale, March’s Student of the Month, was the first student to have his on the sign. Both students were recognized for their academics and for displaying the school’s values of commitment, purpose and respect.

“It’s nice that someone is actually noticing my progress,” Hale said.

STEaM Coordinator Chad Segrist worked with McDonald’s store manager Lisa LeGrone in February to start a program of recognizing outstanding students by displaying a student’s name on their sign for an entire month.

“It gives a local business the opportunity to work closely with students in our efforts to create and transform the community,” Segrist said.

LeGrone said this program ties in well with the “I’m Lovin’ It” campaign McDonald’s is having right now.

“We were putting up loving messages, and I thought Student of the Month would be a great message to put back into the community to let them know what youth are trying to do over here in our area,” LeGrone said.

Segrist and LeGrone have also created a Behavior and Expectations Program to appreciate students’ efforts by rewarding students weekly with a five-dollar gift card good at any participating McDonald’s.