CMA: First Lady inspires at Detroit College Signing Day

By Sharneisha Morris and Erin Jackson Staff Writers

You can too!

That was the resounding message from First Lady Michelle Obama when she spoke to Detroit high school students on Detroit College Signing Day.

Students from all over Detroit were invited to participate in the first citywide Detroit Signing Day, which was held May 1 at Wayne State University’s athletic center. National Signing Day is part of the White House’s “Reach Higher” initiative and is modeled after the NCAA’s National Signing Day.

The purpose of this day was to encourage post-secondary education among students to prepare for a brighter future. Besides Obama, several other special guests were in attendance, including recording artist Ciara and members of the Detroit Pistons.

Obama spoke about her humble beginnings and told students how she came from similar backgrounds. She stressed the ideas of hard work and persistence.

“I felt encouraged and determined that I will graduate from Oakland University,” said Communication & Media Arts senior Miracle Rudolph.

The First Lady also went beyond just telling students to prepare themselves academically, but to try to have experience in their desired field.

“It is my dream to major in criminal justice,” said CMA senior Qu’Juan Twilley. “Mrs. Obama’s words inspired me to volunteer at my local police department.”