Benjamin Carson: Ceremonies celebrate seniors’ accomplishments

By Angel Wallace and Robert Belew Staff Writers

With the school year drawing to an end, ceremonial firsts are more frequent.

The class of 2015 shared two big events with friends and family this spring. On the evening of Feb. 26 at Spain Elementary/Middle School’s auditorium was the scene of celebration for the first Senior Pinning ceremony.

During the Senior Pinning several seniors were involved in presenting comments, and India Amos inspired the audience of seniors and their families with a poem called “Our Deepest Fear” by Marianne Williamson.

At Principal Brenda Belcher’s cue, family members presented school pins to the eager seniors and took some time to share their thoughts about their pride about their accomplishments.

“It was nice to have my aunt pin me,” said Natasha Reaves. “My aunt’s my role model. It was a special time for us.”

At the end of the program seniors gathered with their friends and family to take pictures.

“Senior Pinning was full of joy, it was nice to see everybody families and smiles on their faces,” Chalia Cornelius said.

Then on on April 18, many of the same celebrants gathered at the banquet hall of the MGM Grand Detroit to receive certificates and awards to recognize their achievements throughout the year.

At the senior brunch, school counselor Millicynt Horton presented scholarship and award recognitions. Seniors and their guests watched a slide show featuring the class of 2015 played while the class song “I was Here” by Beyonce played in the background.

The Keynote speaker was Kenneth Brown of Ken Brown International. He emphasized the importance of having clear goals.

“When Kenneth Brown spoke I felt like he could relate to my life,” said Alexander Callen. “It inspired me to keep working so I can follow my dreams.”