Cass Tech's Cyars: 'I don’t want to allow my autism to limit myself and my possibilities'

By Kayla Cockrel Staff Writer

Karen Cyars is not your typical Cass Tech student.

Sure, she excelled on the high school placement test and has maintained above a 3.2 GPA.

That’s pretty typical. But what isn’t typical is that Cyars is autistic.

As a child Cyars was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), which affected her ability to decipher emotions and communicate to others.

According to Autism Speaks, an organization that helps others better understand the varying levels of ASD and the many different ways it can affect people, those with ASD are affected the most socially, normal interaction is the part of their life that is the most difficult to understand for them.

The National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke reports that some people with ASD have difficulty interpreting what others are thinking or feeling because they can’t understand social cues, such as tone of voice or facial expressions.

“When I was little, my mom had to start teaching me how to react to certain things,” Cyars said. “She tried to teach me the way other people who aren’t like me see things so that I could understand.”

Simple things like knowing when to cry and when to laugh would be a lifelong struggle for Cyars with her form of ASD. While the average person grows up reacting to the world around them, naturally interpreting emotions and how to handle them, she had to learn. Growing up, Cyars had a teacher to help her learn the rules of engagement, her mother. Karen’s mom Krystal Cyars helped her create a bridge to a world she might not have been able to reach.

Karen Cyars also had to learn how to interpret other people's emotions by experiencing life and reacting to the humdrum of everyday practices.

Krystal Cyars would explain what people might view as sad, what might make people laugh, and what to say or not say in certain situations. Without learning any of these invaluable skills Karen Cyars could have been disconnected from this empathetic part of life.

Growing up, Karen Cyars was often bullied because she was different, like many other kids, she had to come to terms with the torment she faced from her peers, just for doing things a little different. She did this in an environment where the stigma of being distinct can conjure up a lot of unwanted attention-school.

As a student, Karen Cyars stands out for her true love and appreciation for learning, she doesn't view education as burden but as a tool for her to further an understanding of the world.

“I quickly saw how she absorbed information like a sponge, and with an enormous willingness to learn.” said Kimberly Love, one of Cyars' former instructors. “Karen was always willing to ‘Go First’, not to get it out of the way but because she knew she was excited about whatever she was learning.”

In the 8th grade at Golightly Education Center, this excitement about learning paid off and Cyars began regular education courses. Her time there would prepare her for the busy and vastly different student life at Cass Tech.

“One of the most important things I learned is not to be afraid to ask questions,” Cyars said. “I know, maybe more than most people, that you have to be willing to admit what you don’t know.”

Cyars’ time spent in schools has greatly shaped her educational and progressive outlook on her future. The lessons she learned in schools moved past education. Knowing that she can excel in the classroom gave her the confidence to know she can excel at anything.

“I know now more than ever that I am never going to use my autism as a crutch,” Cyars said.

Looking forward she uses the tools gained from her school, the love of her mother, and the welcoming support of the people in her life to spread this positive energy. Karen Cyars is most proud of her true passion, brightening the live of others. As she ponders her own life after school, she said she knows it will be where she can give something to those who have nothing.

“I’ve always know that I want to help people,” Cyars said. “I know that no matter what there is always someone out there with less love and opportunities than me, and all I want to do is help.”