Cass Tech: Cass alum Major Taylor shares his career Journey

By Dervon Thompson and Abriana Walton Staff Writers

In November, the CT Visionary Staff visited the Palace of Auburn Hills for Pistons Media Day. One of our alumni sat on the panel of sports writers and Public Relations staff – named Major Taylor. Taylor was excited to discuss his career journey in sports media.

While attending Cass Tech, Taylor was enrolled in the graphic arts and design curriculum. He entered a variety of art shows at Wayne State and The Detroit Institute of Arts. At Cass, he was aware of a newsletter at the school and would assist with the publication; but wasn’t one hundred percent committed. It wasn’t until college Taylor finally decided on a career in journalism.

Taylor said, “It’s weird because I didn’t know that I would be in the communications field. I was in Graphic Design at Cass so I thought that would be my career path.”

While in the School of Kinesiology at U-M, Taylor relentlessly interned for several companies to network with those in the sports industry. By the time Taylor graduated, he completed internships with Big Ten Network, University of Michigan athletic department, i9 Sports and the Global Basketball Summer League.

Taylor said: “Never be too shy to ask for what you want.”

His ambition was rewarded and he received his current position through a connection he had at the Chief Marketing Office for the U of M athletic department. Taylor currently provides live social media content for Detroit Pistons, The Palace of Auburn Hills, DTE Energy Music Theatre and Meadow Brook Music Festival.

“I really enjoy this position because every day is different, and that’s the coolest aspect of my job," he said.