Douglass: Hurricanes end season with 55-53 loss to Consortium

By Nathan Lymon Staff Writer

On March 11, the Douglass varsity basketball  team hosted Consortium College Prep. It is the first time since moving to their current location on West Warren and Grand River Ave. that the Hurricanes hosted the district playoffs. Douglass hoped to extend its streak of district championships -- five  since 2010, according to Douglass teacher’s assistant Curtis Stove.

The Canes played a close game, but ended their season with a 55 -53 loss.

“I think the coaching staff had the team prepared physically and mentally to beat Consortium,” said Douglass varsity coach and gym teacher Pierre Brooks.

Consortium was a challenge for Douglass.

“Consortium are the defending state champs and we knew we had a huge challenge against them,” Brooks said.

Douglass went out there on the court and played hard at home.

“We knew the guys would give it their all because we always play well at home,” said Brooks.

At the end of the game, the Hurricanes came very close to winning, missing a three-point go-ahead basket with just .3 seconds left.

“We missed some big free throws down the stretch and had a big turnover when the game was tied,” Brooks said.

Hurricane fans expressed appreciation for the team’s relative success this year, despite the earlier than usual exit from the playoffs.

“We lost seven seniors to graduation," Stove said. "These guys were playing junior varsity last year. We’re young, but we did real well."