Renaissance: Stuart Scott influenced young listeners

By Ryan Thomas Staff Writer

Many sports analysts announce games in the same way, never had their own style that separated them from one another.

But Stuart Scott, an analyst for ESPN since 1993, created his own style in the way he announced sport games. He wasn’t just another sports analyst that would say the same thing as anyone else. He made the game more entertaining by the way he announced it and showed his enthusiasm.

Scott died from cancer on Jan. 4; he was 49. Though he wasn’t one of the first African-Americans to become a sports analysts, he still left a major impact as an African-American analyst on sports journalism.

“Stuart Scott was an amazing sportscaster,” freshman Myron Tate said. “I remember when he spoke during a game he always said funny phrases.”

One of the many ways Scott showed his own styles was by blending hip-hop with sports. During his broadcast Scott would use many catchphrases such as “Boo-Yah!” and “He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin’ him to school.” He would use this style in order to attract young audiences to listening to him.

After Scott began to have his own style other announcers began to do the same thing.

“When you die, that does not mean you lose to cancer,” said Scott, when accepting the 2014 Jimmy V Perseverance award. “You can beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live. So live, live, fight like hell. And when you get too tired, (lie) down, rest and let someone else fight for you.”

“It’s always sad when someone dies,” freshman Ernest Dixon said. “He truly was a great sportscaster.”