Renaissance: Journalism is important to the black community

By Angelica Euseary Staff Writer

Journalism comes in many different forms and ways: articles, Twitter, and Facebook, which all just goes to show how much journalism is evolving. Journalism is a significant factor of society and it’s changing our world every day by gender, age and race.

And now journalism is important to the black community, now more than ever.

As an African-American journalist, I use my First Amendment right as much as possible through my words. And I try my best to give my community the best news and impact society like other black journalists have impacted me, like Marlon Walker from the Detroit Free Press, who went to Renaissance High School. Journalists like him give me hope and show me that my dreams are possible. Being able to write stories is my passion and giving the news to my community is something I love doing.

“Black journalism helps give the black community a voice and the opportunity to be able to speak how they really feel about what is going on in society,” senior Jarae McCoy said.

African Americans went from not being able to vote, with no rights, to having the freedom of speech and being considered just as equal as other races.

With what has been going on with the “Black Lives Matter” movement, journalism for African Americans is prominent because it letting them speak their mind in such a crucial time in America.

“Black journalism has inspired me in many ways and has shown me that I can have a voice and give people a voice even as a minority,” said senior Ariana Taylor, editor of the Stentor.