Renaissance: Fashion trends repeat

By Jeanae Gist Staff Writer

Since the beginning of time people of all cultures have had their own sense of style. Over time, the styles and fashions of African American people have transformed greatly.

In the 1980s African Americans had such a unique and vivid style. They used their sense of fashion to express themselves. With vibrant colors and wild patterns, they set a style like no other.

“Fashion in the ’80s was fun bright with neon colors, gloves with the fingers out, bright lipstick, asymmetrical hair styles and high top fades,” said social studies teacher and ’80s fashion enthusiast Ms. Highsaw. “The theme seemed to be fun and wild.”

African-American women in the ’80s often showed their cultural side through their fashion. They wore African tribal prints and traditional hats. They also wore a variety of colors at once, showing their wild, funky style. Their go-to pants were leggings and worn with oversized tops.

“I love the ’80s fashion. It was the best fashion period in my opinion,” junior Paige Sims said.

In the next decade, men’s fashion was dominate. Men in the ’90s were known for their gold rope chains and oversized jogging suits. The most popular item amongst the African American community were Air Jordan sneakers. They also wore leather and puff jackets.

In the new millenium, African American fashion began to take a turn. Men began to sag their pants, women began dressing more provocatively. The reputation when it came to fashion for african americans was on a downward spiral. The spiral then turned into a new style, going from bad to great.

More recently, fashion began to repeat itself. Men were buying the same retro Jordans as before. Women began wearing their oversized sweaters and leggings.