Pershing: Students act out key moments in black history

By Daisha Posey Staff Writer

To help Pershing students understand their culture and educate them about important African Americans throughout history, Pershing drama students acted out key moments in black history with a performance on Feb. 19.

“I wanted our students here at Pershing High School to understand their history. I wanted them to understand what Africans Americans have accomplished,” said April Woodward, director of visual effects and media specialist at pershing high school.

Woodward assisted drama teacher Madelyn Porter on this production that involved a variety of performances including rappers, singers, praise dancers and poets.

“Students will perform and produce the black history program and will be involved in marketing, technical production and mounting the show,” said Porter, director of the Variety of Entertainment Black History Program.

A senior Leslie Smith is played a preacher, as well as a drummer on the drumline.

“I always had black history in my blood,” said Leslie Smith. “It stems from grandpa who taught me about Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and Nelson Mandela… performing in this play is a tribute to him.”

The organization Think Respect and a Pershing High School Alumnus, historian Orlin Jones, collaborated with Director Porter on this Black History production.

“Our young people need to know about the various different people who contribute to society,” said Ms. Woodward. “I think our young people need to get a stronger grasp on their culture and the sacrifices their ancestors made for them to do some of the things that they have now.”