Pershing: P.R.I.D.E. builds leadership

By Rayshean Jones Staff Writer

Pershing P.R.I.D.E. program helps students build leadership skills, and provides them a chance to create and organize events for the school.

The program involves Pershing students, who want to make an impact and be recognized as leaders.

“I like it (P.R.I.D.E.) because it is very informative and its nice to see pershing students getting recognize,” said Pershing P.R.I.D.E. member, senior Katilin McQueen. “I joined to be more involved within the school and help out.”

Pershing P.R.I.D.E. has 33 students that meet once a week with faculty advisor and Pershing High School Social Worker Omega Hatchett.

“(Students) signed up to get involved, and be apart of the activities that are going on within the school and they get to attend those events for free,” said Omega Hatchett.

Students in the P.R.I.D.E. program receive professional benefits in the way of job experience and performing service projects outside of the school.

“The 12th graders can gain community service hours and other students can have fun on field trips,” said Ms. Omega, who is planning a community service field trip for the second semester.

Pershing P.R.I.D.E. provides students an outlet to be recognized as leaders and get more involved in school extracurricular activities.