Osborn: OPrep seniors ready to become active leaders

By Bobbie Stinson V Staff Writer

OPrep Seniors are not waiting to see what today’s adults are deciding for them. Instead more than a few of them are already rubbing elbows with influential leaders in the community.

“Community leaders are looking for youth to step up and lead in their community” said MST Senior Gregory Thomas, who has always been inspired to see the community flourish and promote positive change.

“If you don’t say anything, the things that you don’t like, will continue to keep happening,” Thomas said. “Instead of adding to the problem, be a part of the solution. For example, as I walk or drive to school, and I see the blight, such as vacant homes and grass almost as tall as me, it makes me angry that our city is not ticketing and holding people accountable for their properties. So instead of complaining I organized and lead a march in fall of 2013.”

And being heard and seen is exactly what has been happening.

On Jan. 15, OPrep Senior Myles Hainsbourough gave a speech at Cody High School to describe his experience as a participant in Jobs for American Graduates (JAG).

“Myles has been participating in the JAG since September and has been a model student,” said JAG teacher Brian Frick. “He was asked to attend the National JAG Conference in Washington D.C. and then to speak for the JAG program at Cody High School in front of many dignitaries, one of them being Mayor (Mike) Duggan, as well as the newly appointed DPS emergency manager.

“His speech touched many hearts and brought tears to most, after the speech he was asked to attend Mayor Duggan’s State of the City address. Myles has made significant steps toward reaching his goal of being his own boss. Myles works hard and earned a 4.0 last marking period. He has made his mother and JAG teacher proud.”

Brittany Dobbins and Aniqua Nichols also taking a dive into the political scene.

On Jan. 9, they attended a lecture hosted by the Michigan Roundtable for Diversity and Inclusion at the Wayne State Law school to learn more Detroit post bankruptcy.

“I was amazed at the impact of the bankruptcy on our city as well as what happened to our schools,” Nichols said. ‘I learned that our school district has lost almost 50,000 students since the state takeover and appointment of an emergency manager.”

On Feb. 9, MST Senior Bobbie Stinson IV attended a Detroit Economic Club luncheon.

“I learned that hockey offers more than entertainment, it offers help, hope and community love,” Stinson said. “The whole program was amazing. My favorite hockey player was there his name is Ben Miller.

Stinson IV also had a chance to meet Channel 4 meteorologist Andrew Humphries.

“There are so many opportunities for our voices to be heard,” Thomas said. “Because of my participation in programs, I am responsible for registering 2,500 youth to participate in the remodeling of the Osborn campus that will take place this summer.”