Loyola: Student senate works for school, community

By Jakobi Lundy-Bass Staff Writer

To some people the role of government is to regulate the rest of the jurisdiction. The students that are a part of Loyola High School’s student senate see their role as something else.

The senate constantly works to change things for the better, and to make sure that Loyola students are getting the most out of the high school experience and prepared to move on into the future. To that end, the senate is working on getting a new student lounge and changing the lunch program.

Sophomore member Terry Harris goes to different schools to see if what they have will work for Loyola.

“Next year I hope to make the lunch choices better,” Harris said.

The senate’s activities don’t stop at the doors to Loyola. They also sponsor service projects that are designed to help those in need.

Through the months of January and February the senate collected gently used jeans for homeless teens. The project is integrated in the mission of Loyola, which teaches the students to be men for others. Students that donate jeans are able to come to school in free dress.

The senate consists of two members from each grade. Elections are held each year. The senate’s goal is to adequately convey the wishes of the students to the administration.

“Through the senate I really feel that I have a say in what goes on in my school,” freshmen Kyle McBeth said.