Loyola: First-year bowling team finds success

-- NO-CAPTION --
-- NO-CAPTION --

By Christopher Turner Staff Writer

Loyola High School strives to offer its students a variety of extracurricular activities from debate to choir to football. At the end of last year, Loyola’s sports program added a bowling team.

“The bowling team is something that was talked about for a couple of years,” team captain senior Walter Adams said.

Adams started trying to recruit members for the team in his sophomore year. Although he was able to get people to sign up, other activities interfered with them actually joining the team.

Walter tried again in his junior year and was able to get a little farther. The people who had signed up for the team showed up, they practiced, but the team was lacking a coach.

“I wanted other students to experience bowling and also to engage in a sport where they might be able to receive a scholarship without playing basketball or football,” Walter said.

Finally, this year Walter found success. After he spoke with members of the staff, including Paul DeLuge, the school’s athletic director, the team was formed. Every Sunday the six members and their coach go to Clover Lanes in Detroit to practice.

The schools that Loyola’s bowling team has competed against include Gabriel Richard and Bishop Foley. The team members are Jaron Taylor (freshman), Leon Wilkerson (junior), Claybourne Allen (junior), Ari Washington (junior), and team captain Walter Adams (senior).

The team’s first year has been successful. They will bowled in the state regional on Feb. 21.