It’s not too late to attend Black History Month events

By Ariana Taylor Staff Writer

By high school, most students have written countless essay and presentations for Black History Month, and for some teens a redundant feeling is present during February. However, the city of Detroit offers a host of events to enliven and rekindle the meaning of Black History Month.

Loads of activities and African-American inspired recipes at the Michigan cafe can be found at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. For a total of 20 days, the museum explores themes of African American history such as northern migration and civil rights roots. The exhibits run today through March 1.

The PuppetART Detroit Puppet Theater and Puppet Center on 25 E. Grand River Ave. will host the show “Oh Ananse!” on Feb. 28 at 2 p.m. The popular show takes a hip-hop spin on a West African story for kids. For $5 dollars per child and $10 per adult, the audience can hear about a little spider’s journey to spin all the stories in the world. PuppetART offers puppet making after the show for $8.

The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History continues it’s annual celebration of Black History Month with family activities through Feb. 28. Located at 315 E. Warren Ave., Detroit, the cost to enter the musenum is $8 for adults and $5 for seniors and children.

And now until Feb. 28, the Detroit Institute of Arts, on 5200 Woodward Ave., will not only have a renowned African art collection but families can enjoy activities such as making tambourines, creating snowflakes, or doodle art time for smaller children. The DIA is free of admission for residents of Macomb, Oakland and Wayne County.