Former director has dedicated career to journalism, education

Detroit Free Press High School Journalism Program Coordinator Erin Perry calls her story "full circle" because she once was a student in the program.

By Kayla Cockrel, Cass Tech Staff Writer

The Michigan State/Detroit Free Press High School Journalism Program has been shaping the minds of young journalist for more 30 years. Among the many students who made a career in journalism is Erin Hill Perry.

Perry graduated from Cass Tech High School and went on to study print journalism at Hampton University. She later earned a master’s degree in teaching from the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

Journalism has not only been Perry’s job, it has been her constant, having committed her life to the pursuit of learning, teaching, writing, editing and directing. She not only participated in the HSJP as a student, she also served as its director from 2006-2012.

“This profession keeps me honest, and it forces me to keep an open mind and to be as detailed as possible for the sake of clarity,” Perry said. “Doing these things have served me well in my personal life: what you see is what you get.”

Since her days starting the CT Visionary at Cass Tech, she’s made a career out of working and teaching in journalism. If there is one central theme in Perry’s character it is the importance of education coupled with the will to learn and grow every day.

“Great ideas can come from anywhere and anyone,” Perry said. “If you aren’t learning something new every day, you aren’t paying attention.”

While Perry admits teaching journalism is a source of enjoyment, having spent many years as the director of the HSJP, her new career highlights the freelance side of journalism. It allows Perry the freedom to work on her own time.

“Being my own boss and loving what I do blurs the line between work and play.” Perry said, “My extracurricular activities often fall in line with my professional life.”

Perry is currently working as a ghostwriter, teaching as an adjunct journalism instructor at Wayne State University, and operating her own editing business. Perry does all of this while also preparing for her life’s next chapter.

“I launched my editing service, www.ieditnred.com and now that my husband and I are expecting our first child in a few months, I’m delighted to be responsible for a little boy I don’t even know yet but who has already changed my life,” Perry said. “I’m in a good place.”