EEV: Student creates petition to bring Subway to school

By Katherine Pierce and Sierra Young Staff Writers

A petition was started at East English Village by Taylor Ross, which advises Principal Murray to try to get a Subway in our school. The petition is small, but it is the first of many changes that the students wants as a whole.

Ross started this petition after school started in September. His said he reason for starting the petition was to stop students from being able to the store and the vocational career tech students that go the store because they don’t eat lunch they have to get on the bus or it would leave them. The number of students that signed the petition was few, but as it continues more and more students are signing it, but until the finally count we do not know the exact number.

There has been a spring of new health bills passed by president Barack Obama, which forces the schools to serve a full course meal that is nutritious and healthy. Ross said he guarantees that Subway will follow the new health guidelines because they claim to be a heart-healthy restaurant.

Having a Subway in the school would cost money. Money that the school may or may not have.

Business management and accounting teacher Junita Moton said she believes the school could not produce enough funds alone. The school might have to get sponsors to help fund the project.

Sophomore Micah Pierce said he believes the project would not be able to happen. He believes the idea is irrational and doesn’t make any sense. On the other hand, Taylor believes that having a Subway in the school would bring a lighter atmosphere to the school because students will have healthier eating habits will could result in better behavior.

Moton also agrees that the students would benefit from the petition as well. She also would want to have her students work the cash register so they could have a hands on experience actually working and counting money.

Assistant principal Alice Galloway said she thinks the idea of a Subway is a good idea. She supports the petition and hopes that it gets approved by the principal.