Douglass: JROTC runs around the world

By Kristian Craig Staff Writer

JROTC units all over the world, not only at Douglass, have a 5K Run coming up April 25. The run is going to take place around the world. It’s for JROTC students, their high schools, the community,and JROTC alumni.

The run is to commemorate the 99th year of Army JROTC, and the 49th year for the Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps JROTC Programs. This event will kick off the 100th year anniversary for 2016.

The event is also an effort to set a Guinness World Record.

“We're breaking the record for ‘most participants in a 5K run (multi-location).’ All we need is 101,247 runners to break the current record,” according to www.jrotc5krun.com on Feb. 12.

Douglass sophomore Tyre Woods thinks there will be a lot of people that sign up to do the 5K run.

“I think the 5K run is a good idea because you get to run and get good exercise in the process,” said Woods.

“The College Options Foundation came up with the idea to do the 5K,” said First Sergeant Laverne Rush.

The College Options Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enriching the academic development of high school students and assisting them in their preparation for higher education, especially those of military families and JROTC participants, according to the foundation’s website.

Rush said the College Options Foundation funds many different things for the JROTC, so they are doing this so they can raise money for JROTC.