Douglass: JROTC adopts military unit as service learning project

By Kristian Craig and Jonathan Enyinnah Staff Writers

Douglass JROTC cadets have adopted the idea to sponsor a military unit as a Service Learning Project. The goal is to get 3,000 items and send them to military units overseas.

“What we did was we sat down with the senior leaders, and we wanted to come up with an idea to give back to the community,” said 1st Sgt. Laverne Rush.

Rush said that the idea they came up with was to send the items to a military unit deployed in Theatre.

“Theatre is a combat zone, and because we have people deployed, why don’t we do service learning and send them supplies?” Rush said.

Rush said sending these supplies will help them make their transition easier so they can do their jobs. The JROTC cadets will bring in items, like games, books, and personal items, to put in care boxes to ship off to our troops overseas.

“We compiled a list of things such as toothpaste, soap, hair spray, women’s items and other things,” Rush said.

“It is a great contribution to the men and women overseas and to the workforce in general,” said Douglass senior Cadet Capt. Da’Mon Swain.

Swain, participating in his first year on the service learning project, said that this is a great opportunity for our cadets to help our troops and to enjoy the process of service learning.

“We do the service learning project annually; every year, and we have terrific results each year,” said Rush.

Rush said this year he intends to have great results in collecting the items. His goal is to allow the cadets to be able to shine in academics and also help our community.