DIA: When do high heels become inappropriate?

By Alayzjia Harris Staff Writer

Is inappropriate when someone walks into a club with their favorite five-inch platform heels to party, then wake up Sunday morning, dressing in a suit, only to slip their foot into those same high heels going to worship at their favorite religious institution?

Isn’t there a certain type of heel for every occasion? Some may think it’s quite disrespectful to go to church in platform heels. Aside from platform heels, stilettos aren’t exactly appropriate for church, either. Or are they?

For some reason people look past the fact that the appropriate attire isn’t always worn. Maybe the saying “Come as you are” is misunderstood.

According to substitute teacher Tiffany Blandford, “[a] more classic black heel appropriate for church” is the one with the strap around the ankle and pointy mid-heel is.

Senior Karessa Murray, on the other hand, said she feels shoes don’t determine who you are, someone may have no choice but to wear that type of shoe.

“It shouldn’t matter,” Murray said.

Senior Marissa Flatt agrees with Branford.

She says “I see more old people in the [that] type of shoe,” Flatt said.

Junior Deanna Baldwin said “really tall and extra clubish heels” are stripper heels and should not be worn in church.

But when high school students attend dances and parties, should they be prohibited from wearing these types of high heels to school events? What image does it portray for that young lady?

“There is a certain type of high heel for every occasion,” freshman Yvonne Wright said.