DIA: Students take trip to D.I.A.

By Jasmine Jones Staff Writer

Freshmen at Detroit International Academy for Young Women attended a field trip to the Detroit Institute of Arts on Dec. 12. It was a fun experience for them to get into different styles of art.

After arriving, the students were divided into three groups, along with a chaperone. They then explored the museum finding interesting artworks that caught their eyes. One of the pieces that really stood out to them was an oil on canvas painting called “Domestic Happiness” by Lily Martin Spencer.

“I enjoyed the trip to the D.I.A because it was fun to look at the different types of art that are on display” freshman Tanecea Hughes said.

After viewing some of the artwork, the groups all met up with the curators who then took them to specific locations in the museum. They observed three different paintings all lasting about 15 minutes long. They were all participating and giving their input on what they saw within each of the paintings.

One in particular was a screen print, in oil, on canvas named “Creek” by Robert Rauschenberg. They pointed out certain aspects that caught their eyes such as the Statue of Liberty, a building and a boat.

“It looks as if the whole piece was created to show the aspects of America and its history,” freshman Ariel Scandrick said.