DIA: GirlBiz helps girls learn about entrepreneurship

By Keyonna Wash Staff Writer

The girls of Detroit International Academy have been selected by Detroit Public Schools as one of its pilot schools for its GirlBiz program, which provides students the chance to meet and talk to successful business women from across the nation.

According to a DPS press release, “GirlBiz is a program of the National Association of Women Business Owners EXCEL Greater Detroit Chapter that provides teenage girls with exposure, education and support in the area of entrepreneurship.”

The program will educate DIA students about financial independence through one-day conferences and workshops that focus on entrepreneurship and economic responsibility.

The GirlBiz kickoff began with a pep rally in the auditorium for the entire school and ended with a select few creating their plans for the future.

More 100 D.I.A. ladies were in attendance for this daylong event on Jan. 16.

Workshops included learning about qualities students should develop in order to become successful in the future, how to develop and follow through with ideas, and receiving advice from the businesswomen in attendance.

“I liked interacting with my mentor,” DIA junior DJaeMonet Robinson said. “She taught me a lot.”

Eventually, one businesswoman was placed at a table of nine to 10 girls, this allowed for a one on one experience with the entrepreneur, becoming an instant mentor for the students within their groups. As one unified faction, they created business plans and miniature models of their proposed business.

“It was really empowering to see the young ladies learn how to create their own business plans from successful women in the entrepreneurial field,” freshman Yvonne Wright said.

“I would really love it if we could have them back,” sophomore Jayla Arrington said.