CMA: Students remember celebrities who recently died

By Isis Givans and Asia Wilson Staff Writers

Now that the world has moved on to 2015, we must take the time out to recognize the legends and icons that were lost in the previous year. These wonderful people suffered unfortunate deaths. There were so many lost in the “Celebrity World” and they all deserve their recognition, but there are only few that are well known that had a national impact.

Some of the most recognized faces that have died recently were comedienne Joan Rivers, actor Richard Attenborough, actor Robin Williams, actress Shirley Temple, actor Bob Hoskins, writer/poet Maya Angelou, actress Ruby Dee and wrestler James Brian Hellwig.

Cancer has taken a few of our beloved stars: Actress Diem Brown, singer Joanne Borgella, actress Marcia Strassman, actor Meshach Taylor, and sportscaster Stuart Scott.

Angelou was known for her brilliant poems and her literature material. Her work was about the American struggles of African American life. The words she spoke were inspiring and she was a singer/dancer in her previous life. She was 82 when she died in May 2014.

Her death had an impact on the sophomore Skyler Coulter.

“She was very important in poetry to African Americans around the world,” Coulter said.

Scott is known for his sportscasting on ESPN. He died last month after a long battle with cancer. Scott delivered an iconic speech at the 2014 ESPY Awards. He was renowned for his sense of humor.

“His death was unbelievable,” Sgt. Cumper said. “I believed that he had fully recovered and that he would yet again conquer cancer.”

Williams was known for his appearance in many movies such as, “Mrs.Doubtfire,” “Night at the Museum” and “Jumanji. He died by suicide in August 2014.

“He was a very hilarious actor and she devastated about his death,” senior Danisha Daniels said.